Forms of hosting solutions
A hosting service implies stashing and/or sharing specific web content on a web hosting server managed by a web hosting provider. There are different types of hosting services used for different aims, so let's have a glimpse at them. Doing so, you can elect what you want, based on whether you desire to run a web site, email address accounts, or to share files with comrades and partners.
- File hosting: a solution delivered by various hosts, which allows you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived files, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole purpose is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a roll of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file storage plans are often supported by displaying adverts beside the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a specific period of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you buy a paid file hosting account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no limit with regard to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modern "cloud hosting". This is a totally imprecise explanation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would allot the load between autonomous hosts of servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving different website hosting services (electronic mail, storage space, stats, DNS, databases, website hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is only a sort of a data storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; given distributors offer a hosting solution for images exclusively. This hosting kind is good if you wish to share a huge number of images with pals or colleagues since the service is generally free of charge. You will get a random link for each image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be utilized for web pages.
- E-mail hosting: a solution committed to taking care of your e-mail accounts. Some distributors provide web space hosting solutions for web pages, but do not supply an e-mail hosting solution. If you wish to own a mail address with your domain name but do not wish to own a site, then the email hosting solution is what you need. You can create electronic mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a certain video clip, or you can embed the video file in your site that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of availing of this method in lieu of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video generates a specific amount of central processing unit load, so with a handful of video files and several hundred visitors, you may have trouble with your website hosting supplies. Embedding the video will allow you to own as many video clips as you desire without bothering about system quotas.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you need if you would like to run a web site. To some degree, it incorporates all of the aforementioned hosting forms since, along with your websites, you can also host images and files, you can create databases and e-mail aliases, upload video files, etc. At APT Cloud, for example, you can take a gaze at web hosting and dedicated server hosting packages that allow you to have all of the abovementioned solutions in one place. There may be limitations depending on the form of hosting service that you've selected - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your website hosting account may be better or worse compared to the conventional email/file/video/image hosting accounts that are tailored for particular web content exclusively.